The seaside village of Spittal is situated on the Tweed Estuary. The name derives from a 14th Century Leper Hospital which was situated somewhere around the vicinity of Spittal crossroads.Once a haunt for smugglers and pirates Spittal is a quiet resort with a long,sandy beach and wide promenade. In Victorian times it was a popular destination for its Spa waters.
Caroline House circa 1835 was named in the mid 1860s by a sea captain who during the American Civil War travelled frequently to the Carolinas. In the 18th century the garage was a forge and later a slaughter house.
The town centre of Berwick is a mile away on the north bank of the Tweed. The Elizabethan Walls which surround the town are best viewed from the Tweedmouth side. They are a mile and a half long and well worth the walk.
Berwick is famous for its swans and salmon fishing.
The fishing cobles can be seen from the Old Bridge between the months of February and September.Usually with a few opportunist seals in tow.
The 200 resident swans, the second largest swan herd in the country,increase to almost 800 during their moult in July/ August.